|Peaches with homemade yogurt and homemade granola. Makes you miss summer doesn't it?|
I've made a few minor tweaks to his recipe, but the recipe that I've been using is not complicated. Since David Lebovitz's post gives plenty of detail, and I'm mostly just a fanboy giving him a shout-out, I'm not going to give very complicated instructions here:
- Sterilize some glass containers with boiling water
- Heat milk to 180 degrees F
- Cool milk to 120 degrees F
- Add 1/4 C yogurt per 4 C of milk. This is your starter culture.
- Put milk/yogurt mixture into jars and keep them warm for about 10 hours, then refrigerate them.
|Canning jars full of hot water. I put a couple of these in the cooler while the milk is cooking to warm up the cooler.|
|Cooling milk in an ice bath|
So, I wrote a lot more than I meant to, but if you have any unanswered questions about the process let me know. Also, if you try making yogurt like this let me know how it goes!