Friday, November 10, 2017

My Favorite Chia Seed Pudding

I was originally thinking of calling this "The Best Chia Seed Pudding," but I really hate it when food blogs do that.  Really?  Yours just happened to be the best?  Okay.

Anyway, in the past, all my chia seed pudding were kind of bland, regardless of the toppings.  Some toppings were better than others, but the underlying pudding itself was still blah.  And then I put in full fat coconut milk.  And the results were glorious.  It's also super-filling.  I eat breakfast at ~8:30, and this will keep me full for about four hours.

This chia seed pudding is vegan, gluten-free, keto, paleo, no sugar added, and delicious.  Which is the most important part.  And endlessly customizable.  Here I'll provide the basic recipe, plus some of the variations I've been making.

First:  the golden ratio for chia seed pudding is 4 parts liquid to 1 part chia.  So for this, since full fat coconut milk is so intense, it's 1/2 cup coconut milk to 2 tablespoons chia seeds.  You can probably use light coconut milk and get the same flavor, but I don't recommend the coconut milk beverage that comes in cartons.  It's too bland.  Also, full fat coconut milk is pretty thick.  You might want to thin it out by doing almost 1/2 cup coconut milk and then finish it off with the liquid of your choice (I use almond milk, because that's what I have).  So, put your chia seeds in a cup, bowl, mason jar, whatever.  Add the liquid.  Stir stir stir.  Stir more.  Add a splash of vanilla, stir more.  Put it in the refrigerator overnight.  In the morning, put ~1 teaspoon of cacao nibs on top.  The cacao nibs are crucial.




Above are two different variations I've made.  Top:  passion fruit.  Bottom: pumpkin pie.

For the passion fruit, just take a passion fruit and pour it over.

For the pumpkin pie, add a tablespoon of canned pumpkin to the pudding when you're adding the liquid.  Also add a dash of pumpkin pie spice.

My current favorite is peanut butter & jelly.  When it comes out of the refrigerator, I add a handful of raspberries and stir them in, sort of crushing them as I stir.  Then I drizzle some TJs mixed nut butter over (but you could use whatever you want).  So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment