Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Modified Caprese Salad

When I was in Italy four years ago, I ate well. One of the things that I really enjoyed were the Caprese salads with tuna. Italian tuna is packed in olive oil, and oh-so-delicious. Nowadays, you can find oil packed tuna in most markets. When I make this salad, I tend to use spinach as the base for added nutrition. Here is my version of this salad.



Tuna packed in olive oil
Basil
Tomatoes
Fresh mozzarella or burrata cheese
Spinach
Additional olive oil, if desired

The amounts of each ingredient can be varied to suit your needs. I don't really care about the amount of spinach, since it has very few calories. However, the cheese and tuna do, so I like to put in one serving of tuna per person, and whatever is easiest in terms of the cheese. If I'm buying burrata from Trader Joe's, I'll usually put in one large ball, which is four servings. For two people, this is fine. If I'm using tomatoes from my yard, I'll put in as many as I can and supplement if necessary, until it looks like there's the right amount of tomato in there.

Slice tomatoes, slice cheese, chop basil, and break up the tuna. Toss all ingredients in a bowl. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This is best eaten while overlooking the Meditteranean Sea!

    ReplyDelete