Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Macaroni and FOUR Cheeses


Instead of studying for my midterm in October (I know, this is way late), I spent 2 hours making macaroni and cheese, since I had some leftover Vermont cheddar from a farmer's market up in Vermont. This recipe is adapted from 100 Best Vegetarian Recipes, by Carol Gelles. The original recipe uses only three cheese, but I added some parmesan. I also substituted the Worcestershire sauce with Sriracha.
Ingredients:
12 ounces macaroni (it calls for elbow; I used shells)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
1.5 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Gouda (smoked is good, too)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese (I just sort of grate it in until I feel like there's enough)
Sriracha to taste
Salt to taste
Bread crumbs (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Cook the macaroni until al dente; drain
3. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat and stir in the flour until absorbed.
4. Using a whisk, stir in the milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Make sure to scrape the bottom so that there are no clumps. Stir in the cheeses, sriracha, and salt. Remove from heat and continue stirring until the cheeses are melted. Stir in the cooked macaroni. Pour into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
5. Bake 30-45 minutes or until the top is browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment