Thursday, July 28, 2011

Brookline Farmer's Market



I'm continuing our series on regional farmer's markets by talking about my local one in Brookline, MA. It's in Coolidge Corner, Thursdays from 1:30 until sunset starting about mid-June and going until mid-October. As my mom mentioned, when I was younger I didn't really like going to the Santa Monica farmer's market, but I must have absorbed something, because I try and make it a regular part of my routine now. As a college student in Claremont, I rarely went, since it was quite small. As a graduate student in Irvine, however, I really started using the farmer's market. Hopefully when I'm home in August I can get something on that.

Living in California spoiled me for fresh produce. The market here is smaller, it's not year-round, and it's more expensive. There also isn't the same variety of product. I also think the quality of produce is much lower. Also, as the school year picks up it gets harder to go to a Thursday market. I have lot to say about the privilege inherent in being able to go to a farmer's market in the middle of a workday and the socioeconomic makeup of the attendees of the Brookline market in particular, but that's a subject for a different blog. The main plus for me is the homemade ice cream stand. It really hits the spot after walking the 1.25 miles from my office to the market in sweltering Boston humidity. The red raspberry chip is fantastic.

I do find that the quality of produce is much higher than the grocery store, and it lasts a lot longer. It's late July, and peaches have just come into season. They're about the same price as in CA; $2.50-$3.00 per pound, and the quality is not bad. I haven't seen any nectarines, though. The blueberries are also delicious, and I think those might be cheaper. They're ~$5.00 for a pint, and make an excellent addition to my morning cereal. The thing that I'm saddest about is the lack of pluots. The pluot lady in Irvine had at least 10 varieties, spanning June until October.

One thing that MA has that CA doesn't do quite as well is apples. Last fall I saw so many types of apples that I had never seen before. I don't normally like apples, because I find them somewhat mealy, but the New England apples have changed my mind. No, there's not a gala or a pink lady in sight, but the macoun is my new favorite apple. It's got a really dark skin, and bright white flesh. I'm looking forward to seeing it come back in season.

The three pictures show you the extent of the entire market. It's small, and I'm not able to use it as my sole produce provider, but it's a good walk and it has delicious ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment