Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pressure Cooker v. Slow Cooker: Steel Cut Oats Edition

Now, obviously, you don't really need either of these things to make steel cut oats. They cook perfectly fine, albeit slowly, on the stove top. But because it does take so long, I thought I'd try using both the pressure cooker and the slow cooker to see which turned out better. My verdict: pressure cooker. Using the pressure cooker, my oatmeal came out basically the same as if I had cooked it over the stove. The only downside to the pressure cooker (besides the fact that it's scary) is that it doesn't actually save you that much time. Between getting it up to pressure, cooking the oats, and then letting it depressurize, I think it took ~30 minutes. Traditional cooking methods take ~45 minutes, although it also requires a lot more stirring. I made a large batch the night before I wanted to eat it, and then refrigerated it. I had leftovers throughout the week, but I didn't get that fresh off the stove taste on the first day, since even pressure cooking in the morning takes too much time. With the slow cooker, on the other hand, you can put your oats in before bed and then have them ready when you wake up. Unfortunately, they didn't really cook properly. There was a weird layer of what we decided was starch, and the texture was really rubbery. When reheating throughout the week, I had to add a lot more liquid than with the pressure cooked oats. There was also something off about the taste. I would have to say that with steel cut oats, pressure cooking is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment