Sunday, July 1, 2012

Fresh Peas

English peas (shell peas) are in season in New England right now, although I'm not sure how much longer you'll be able to find them in the farmer's market. If you can't get English peas in the shell fresh, just buy them frozen. I thought I would pass along a tip that I learned from Mark Peel, executive chef at Campanile in Los Angeles. As you shell the peas, divide them into three groups--small, medium, and large. I like to do this in front of the TV, since it's a little tedious, but luckily all the peas in one pod tend to be about the same time, so you don't have to sort through individual peas. The peas cook at different rates, so put the large ones in first, then the medium, then the small. You'll get perfectly cooked peas every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment