Sunday, March 1, 2015

Buzzfeed Clean Eating Challenge: Day 1

After a few months of holiday eating, I've been feeling blah and unhappy about what I've been eating and how I look. Vanity got the better part of me, so I enlisted my mom and got her to do the BuzzFeed Clean Eating Challenge. I went and bought all of the groceries, and the total came out to ~$130, which is much pricier than I expected. I think some of it is for next week, as well, so I'm not sure what the per week total will be. I will check back after the next round of grocery shopping. My goal is to lose a little bit of weight, and reset my eating, especially my lunches. I chose this because all of the lunches can be packed for work.


Today was day 1, which can be found here.


Breakfast: Your standard green smoothie. I prefer the Classic Green Monster from Oh She Glows (made with spinach), but they're pretty similar. For the next one I'll probably add some cinnamon, since this was pretty bland.


Lunch: Shaved Asparagus Salad with Shallots and Fried Eggs. I don't eat asparagus, so I replaced it with broccolini. I thought the dressing was too lemony, and as with the smoothie, I would have preferred spinach to arugula. While eating, I felt like I couldn't finish, but I got hungry pretty quickly after.


Afternoon Snack: Carrots and Hummus. I have no idea how big a medium carrot is supposed to be, so I may have gotten large carrots. Oh, well. This was surprisingly filling.


Dinner: Roast Chicken Bowl with Quinoa and Kale. I cheated and bought pre-washed, bagged kale, which cut down on prep time but this still took a surprisingly long time to prepare. It did create leftovers to use later in the week, though. Which brings me to my next point. The grocery list called for 2 chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on, for a weight of one pound. I bought a chicken breast that was slightly over 1 lb, which I thought would be enough meat for the week. It was not, as there was supposed to be 12 oz left over, and I have six. I will have to get more. This dinner was pretty bland and not very filling.


Evening Snack: Pear with Almond Butter. My almond butter was not liquidy enough to drizzle over the pear, but it was fine. Nothing special.


Overall, I was underwhelmed by today's meals. I would have preferred spinach in breakfast and lunch, and I'm a little irritated by the chicken thing. Hopefully tomorrow goes better.

1 comment:

  1. Although the kale I bought was disgusting raw, it was ok cooked. Of course, the chicken cooked down. I didn't weigh mine, but it doesn't look like much. I find their portion sizes are not the way I eat, so I take the food and eat it when I want. Also, there is never a recipe that I think I can't improve on. So I didn't read about the prep for breakfast and there was no way I was going to wait 6 hours for all that stuff to soften, so I took the oats, the chia seeds and the almond milk and the honey, heated it 1 min in the microwave. That is a breakfast I would eat again. As for the cost, any meal that is gluten-free with an emphasis on vegetables and fruit and does not pay attention to what is in season is of course going to be pricey.

    ReplyDelete