Saturday, March 7, 2015

BuzzFeed Clean Eating Challenge: Day 7

I've reached the half-way point! Actually, since I'm going to New York next Friday, I'm not doing the last day and a half (although I might work the recipes in to the next week), I'm actually over half-way done. Today was pretty good. I also went shopping for the rest of the week. The total bill was ~$91, although I was overcharged for my mushrooms, since the cashier rung them up as Shiitake, when they were Crimini, which were $7/lb cheaper. I found this out when I was already at home, and the extra $6 wasn't worth going back to fix. I also included some of Carl's lemons/limes in this total, and the new bottle of olive oil, which should last six months. Averaging over the two weeks, it was about $110/week, which is a little pricey, but I also think that I will have so much food left over. I actually didn't buy any romaine this week, since it was just supposed to be used solely for lettuce cups, so I'm going to use leftover Napa cabbage. I also didn't buy the arugula, since I had so much left over, along with blackberries. Anyway, today's recipes can be found here.


Breakfast: Asparagus with Poached Eggs. I hate asparagus, so I used broccolini. I wasn't paying attention, so I overcooked my eggs, which was probably for the best, anyway, because broccolini isn't great for sopping up runny egg yolks. This would have been significantly better with bread to sop up the yolk. In fact, I've made this with challah rolls, and the sweetness of the challah really makes it delicious.


Lunch: Kale Salad with Tomato, Feta, and Black Beans. Too much kale and tomato. All of these salads with tomatoes have included a whole tomato along with a citrus vinaigrette, which is a lot of acid. Also, the salads have been made with bitter greens, and I really can only do spinach or romaine in salads.


Afternoon Snack: Almonds and a Clementine. Pretty straightforward.


Dinner: Turkey-Basil Meatballs with Collard Greens. I added parmesan to this, since it was in the picture but not in the recipe. The meatballs were really good, although I may have slightly overcooked them. The greens were a little bitter, though, and I had to really coat them with the tomato sauce.


Evening Snack: One Ounce Dark Chocolate. Again, pretty straightforward. I just ate the fancy chocolate chips that were in my cabinet.


On to week 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment